Sunday, May 11, 2008

Differing Perspectives

I went out to lunch with a couple of teen girls today that I haven't spent time with in awhile. We had a nice time, but as with many of my encounters with them, I walked away thinking, "Is this really my life?" :)
We talked about a lot of things, and they ranted and raved about several different situations in their lives. I finally stopped them and asked, "Don't you ever just get tired of it all?" "Sure", they replied, "that's why we're trying to do something with our lives." That made me pause, because I often feel frustrated with the fact that they seem to be doing nothing with their lives. Apparently they think they are. So who's right? Obviously we are both looking at it from a different perspective...
You do what you know. So maybe, in their eyes, at their age, they're already going "above and beyond" what they've seen those before them do. In their eyes, they are "doing something with their lives".
Maybe instead of always wanting, pushing, and encouraging them to do more, I need to start with acknowledging what's already being done.

No comments: