Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Am I Grateful?

I teach a summer girls' swimming class, and yesterday was our last day for the summer. As a result, we were taking the girls to dinner at Pizza Hut after class to celebrate our fun times together :) Now, I enjoy being able to do things like this; I'm glad that Breakthrough has the means. Yet I found myself getting so frustrated with the lack of gratefulness I saw in many of the girls. It just wasn't enough! They wanted breadsticks, more pizza, more __________, and there was grumbling and complaining when I said we were not getting any more! We were finished eating and one of the girls leaned over to me and asked me if I would buy her something. I looked at her and told her "I did buy you something. I just bought you pizza and pop." AHHHHHHH!
I got home and was thinking about the night, and recalled a conversation my friend Sarah and I had a few days ago. We were talking about basic privileges we have, such as food to eat, a bed to sleep in, clothes to wear, etc.... and how I almost always treat these things as a "given"; as something I'm supposed to have. How often do I stop and find myself being grateful...really grateful, for these things?
It's funny how the lack of gratefulness I see in others irritates me so much, yet when it's myself, I don't even think twice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing I find difficult about those situations (with the girls) is not taking it personally and teaching them in the moment. I want to be personally offended rather than teach them about being thankful. I am glad that you didn't just "let it go". They need to know how to appropriately receive gifts.

Sarah said...

I am grateful, really grateful for you. You are great, buddy, and an excellent example for others about how to live for Christ. And you are a pretty pretty princess too.

(I dont totally know where that came from :)

Noel Edwin Cisneros Ritter said...

Is there anything more frustrating? Why is it alwasy the pizza parties that are like that? I agree with Marcie, its so hard to seperate your own need and to teach.

Also I agree that it sometimes feels like I desire everything that I have. I think I have entitlement issues. I deserve this job, I deserve to have a car that works etc. But really, I don't, and its all gifts from God. Why is it so hard to see that?