Friday, August 17, 2007

Oh, How We Love Summer Camp!

I got back today from a week away at Camp Timberlee with our kids from Breakthrough. I walked in my front door, shut my cell phone off, threw a load of laundry in the wash, laid down on my couch, and am now taking a bit of time to write. Needless to say, I currently feel completely exhausted! I'm blessed to have a night to myself to be refreshed.
Overall, the week went really well. We did everything from horseback riding, to wall climbing, to archery, to boat rides, to night hikes (most of which generally involved some type of screaming/freaking out.) It's so good to get away from our normal "programming" and just focus on our relationships with the kids. We took a great group of girls, with which we had a lot of laughs :) I was reminded many times of how much I love these kids and desire for them to love God.
After the final "church session" last night, one of our girls told me she needed to talk to me. We went on a walk, and she proceeded to ask me some really good questions. Things like if she believes in Jesus, why doesn't her life really look like it? What does it even look like to love God? How do you tell your friends about God, and why is it so scary? I definitely didn't have all the answers, and she seemed okay with that. I did try to encourage her by saying that the way in which we love Jesus doesn't always look the same for everyone. For instance, the way I love Jesus might be very different from the way she loves Jesus, or her mom loves Jesus. I told her various ways in which I'd observed her loving God that week by the way she treated other people in our group, or helped wipe off the tables without complaining, or sang songs during rally time. We talked for quite awhile, and I pray that this conversation with her will continue on even into the future...
I've been really discouraged lately when it comes to the girls; I can't help but be grateful for how God used this week to remind me in part of why He's given me the privilege of being involved in their lives.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I missed you.

Anonymous said...

My favorite camp memory...Shawn Harper with Big Mike on his back (all 436 pounds of him) and of course "Big, big house"

mama2dibs said...

Those are deep questions. Some that I sometimes ask as a "seasoned" Christian.