Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thinking it over....

The quote at the top of my page holds a lot of personal significance to me, beyond just the fact that it's tattooed on my body. It's a constant reminder to me that we are broken people, and all of us are longing for someone to show us grace (mercy, pardon, that which we do not deserve.)
I haven't written in a really long time, and I'm not exactly sure why. The only reason I'm sitting here now, trying to write, is because I need to process, and I'm too overwhelmed to do anything else.
I spoke to a grandmother in my neighborhood today, and got some very unsettling news. I'm still somewhat in shock, I think. And as I looked at my foot tonight, with the words "Alive, Broken, and Grace" tattooed there, all I could do was shake my head. Because I'm tired of giving grace to the broken people in my life. (Sounds selfish, right? Sounds self-righteous, no? Unfortunately, it's honest.) I'm tired of watching one irresponsible choice after another be made, with no thought of the consequences, or who else if affected, or what lives can be ruined. I am terrified of where this path is headed, and for those who have found themselves there, in spite of whether or not they ever had a choice.
Does there come a point where grace gets in the way of personal responsibility, or owning up to one's own poor choices? WHEN IS ENOUGH, ENOUGH, ALREADY?!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

my friend, I dont have an answer for you that you will like.
God exemplifies a perfect love, a love that chases and one that is overflowing with grace. One of my favorite songs says "HIS love is an ocean, we're all drowning..."
God continues to forgive and cover us with grace everyday.

"Because of the lord’s great love we are not consumed,for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)
New mercies everyday.

I know you know this, but we have to love and extend that grace as we receive it. We have to love as Christ loved and loves us. I pray that Lord will continue to fill you up so as you pour out this fountain of grace upon these girls, you will NEVER feel emptied out.