Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"Congratulations, Graduate!"

I had the privilege of attending the 8th grade graduation of a girl I've known for a few years now. She called me a few days ago and left a message inviting me to come, and my first thought was, "No, I don't really want to go. I'll just get her a gift and tell her 'Congratulations! I'm proud of you!'" But as I thought a bit more about it, I realized that it's an honor to be included in this event, and I really wanted to be there to support her. The ceremony was so funny! It lasted 2 hours (Yes, for an 8th grade graduation), but as I sat there, I felt like a proud parent (which, if you know her mom, is pretty hard to top with her yelling out every few minutes, "My Baby! Oh...that's My Baby!"). I was proud to be cheering her on through this milestone in her life and wishing her much success in the next phase of her journey. After the ceremony, she came up and hugged me, thanking me for coming. I could only say, "I wouldn't have missed it!". And I was glad I didn't.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

yay buddy.I am happy you went too.

You look gorgeous in that picture of you and her.

I also LOVE your new profile picture.

Noel Edwin Cisneros Ritter said...

I ahd a similar experience going to Latoya Hill's baptism a few weeks ago, its amazing what it means to those we care about when we "Show up", why is it so hard for us to do most of the time?