Monday, July 16, 2007

It Starts with 1

I've been feeling a sort of heaviness lately for our kids, especially the girls that we work with. My mind has frequently over the past few days been going to a place of "mourning", so to speak. I feel as if there's a complete lack of spiritual interest in our kids, and it scares me. I keep thinking about that passage in the Bible where God is ready to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah (Gen.18-19) and Abraham goes to God pleading for the people. He doesn't want the righteous to get destroyed with the wicked. They go back and forth, starting with 50 people all the way down to 10, and yet even that number proves to be too large; the city is destroyed. The city was spiritually dead! I don't want to lose an entire generation of our kids because they are spiritually dead. I've begun praying that God will raise up 1 girl amongst our group to be the leader for the rest; to be the one who will stand in the gap and challenge her culture, her friends, and even us "leaders".
It was stated to me the other night that often people tend to grow in their faith due to what they see and are challenged by in their peers. I don't want to settle for mediocrity. I believe that our kids can be passionate and excited and growing in their journeys with Christ. And I want to pray to that end.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

you know I didn't really say much in response to this when you were pondering it on Sunday. I also dont have anything insightful now, but I have been praying for a revival of sorts for the girls and for you to not be discouraged. Nothing is impossible with the Lord and I also pray for you to have peace in your patience. I heard you loud and clear on Sunday even if it seems I was preoccupied.

That was a good night of food, laughter and conversation that brought forth this realization.

Chrissy said...

Andrea,
I believe fully in the kids you work with, and in you. I believe fully they have seen something in you that is different, and that is Christ. I will pray for you and the girls. For some sort of as someone else said revival, and that you can be a sort of rock for the girls, but still willing to show it is ok to be weak because God is everyones rock. God is good always... no matter what, and I can see Him moving in you, and I have a feeling those girls can too.