Monday, July 23, 2007

Too Close to Home

It's always easier when it's just a random family on the news. I see their grief, and I may even feel a twinge of empathy for them before I move on to my own busy day. Yet when it happens to a family I love and care deeply about; when a 23 year old young man I know is killed, gun violence stops being just another statistic or late-night news story. It's real, it takes lives, and it tears families apart.
I walked down the block today. A lot of the family members were there sitting out front. I gave some hugs, sat down and talked to a few people a bit, and loved on a baby. I felt so incredibly helpless! There was absolutely nothing I could say in that moment that would make anyone feel better or lessen the pain of this loss.
So I sat in the chair out front, loved on the baby, and prayed.
In moments like these, that has to be enough.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I feel similarly. Difficult to know how to blog about this, or articulate it in any real way.

Sarah said...

Love's the only house big enough for all the pain in the world. REMEMBER?
We did make a mural out of it.

Your love was enough. It was the best thing you could give.

I like you buddy.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes just being there is enough and of course is all we can do. But remember LOVE is the greatest. In I Cor. it tells us we can say, do, think alot of things but what we need is love. You were doing the right thing even though it hurt, even you. I'm proud of you. GOD IS LOVE. You showed God to them.
m.0.m.