Sunday, April 8, 2007

My own private worship service

The 5 1/2 hr. drive from Bellefontaine, OH to Chicago can seem pretty long and monotonous, seeing as there's pretty much nothing but mile after mile of flat farm (and sometimes not farm) land. So today, I decided to take advantage of all that uninterrupted time and use it to worship the God we just celebrated this weekend. I prayed, I sang at the top of my lungs, I cried, I shouted, I listened...you know, all the really important things :) And it was pretty cool, because about half-way through my trip (which up to that point had been shrouded in the darkness of an imminent storm), I saw on the horizon ahead a small glimmer of sunshine. I felt myself pushing harder on the gas pedal in order to "catch" it, and you know what? I did! About 20 minutes later I was surrounded by clear blue skies and the sun shining brightly all around me. It was beautiful...it brought a smile to my face, and a whole new perspective to my drive.

It made me think of the times in life where we feel surrounded by darkness, and all we can see is a tiny glimmer of light. Maybe, just maybe, if we chase that tiny glimmer, we'll find ourselves before long basking in the beauty and wonder of God.

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Im happy you caught it. Amen to that.
what if we cannot see the glimmer of light? how hard must we push into the darkness in hopes that light might soon appear? How long do we have to push on that gas peddle for the blue skies and sun to come?

Sarah said...

i loved this blog so much buddy.
I pictured you driving and singing and laughing and being.

We need to take our road trip soon. I relish the driving and looking and allowing your eyes and spirit to just travel and not be stopped by building and settlement.
And now its time for some ICE CREAM!

Andrea said...

Great questions! I don't have any ingenious answers for them, except to pose this question: Even if we can't SEE the light, are we willing to TRUST that it is there?

Chrissy said...

touche!... good call andrea... I just ask because sometimes I feel as if that light will never come back into sight. you know? It's really hard to trust in something for so long when no results are evident. I know that sounds ignorant, but true.

have a great week!

Andrea said...

It doesn't sound ignorant at all! I think that's something that any living, breathing person can say in life at times...it's incredibly hard to trust when we don't see.
In a sense, maybe that's why trust is so freeing; it's not something that's easy to come by...

mama2dibs said...

Thank God for those moments. My drive is spent keeping two girls happy. Maybe I should find a way to involve them in worshipping God. :)