Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Dreaming for Another...

A friend relayed this quote to me tonight, and the more I think about it, the more I like it :) She paraphrased it for me, which I'll do for you as well (I tried to find the actual quote online, but got tired of looking, so if you know it, send it my way).

"To dream for oneself is one thing,
But to dream for another is something."
I was telling the story of how one of my young friends called me today asking for my advice. I was figuring she just wanted to know what shirt she should wear that day, but it ended up being a much heavier conversation than that. She's a young teenager, recently had a baby, and the baby's daddy is in jail. They've been talking on the phone and he told her he thinks he wants to "be" with her once he gets out. Everyone in her family is telling her she should go for it, and she wanted to know what I thought. I told her I thought it was a horrible idea! Why should he be allowed to not only screw up his own life, but hers in the process? Doesn't she realize that she deserves so much better than that?
That's when my friend who I was telling this to shared this quote with me. She encouraged me to continue this conversation with this girl, letting her know that I'm walking through this with her. I believe in her, and I dream that she has more in store for her in this life than this guy could ever give her, even when she can't see it or dream it for herself.

No comments: