Sunday, March 11, 2007

"I will never find the best of me, until I find myself in You."

I've been feeling the pressure of life lately. Go, Go, Go, with barely any time to breathe in between one thing and the next. So a few weeks ago I booked myself a room at this resort in Elkhart Lake, WI and I spent some time there this weekend. I turned my phone off for 24 hrs. (yes, I know, hard to do, but not impossible!). I often have great intentions of spending time with just me and God, but somehow I always seem to be interrupted or distracted. I needed this. After I took a walk, enjoying silence that I haven't heard in awhile, I sat down to write. Here's a piece of what came out:

"It's been such a long time, God. I feel as if I've been trying to survive off of my 'past encounters' with You and have no present ones of which to speak. I've been feeling suffocated and wanted to take this day for not only some space, but in order to remember how to simply take a deep breath again. To remember what it means to "commune" with You. So here I am. I've pulled a chair up to the table, and I'm excited to spend some time with You."
Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. I believe that whenever we intentionally clear out some space for God, He'll make His presence known in one way or another. I did my share of crying, smiling, and yes, even a little dancing :) I came away refreshed.

Sometimes we have to retreat in order to be able to keep fighting.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You encourage me. Simply said.

Anonymous said...

you are a breath of fresh air that makes me smile....thanks. ~mariko