Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"He's not my Daddy...He's just my Father"

These words were said to me yesterday by a girl who, for the past 14 years of her life, has been lacking a "daddy" in her life. He's been back in the picture for a few months and thinks that he suddenly has the right to assert authority over her. And, naturally, she's balking at the whole idea. Just because he's her biological father doesn't mean that he has earned any right to be heard in her life. She's beginning to allow herself to feel the deep pain, hurt, and disappointment that he's caused her. Whoever said that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" must not have had an absentee parent, because "fondness" is certainly not the emotion that has been born from this absence.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

On the other hand, very prevalent also is men who choose to stand in and be a daddy even though they aren't a father. I can attest to how hard it is in this situation also. I mean after not having any male authority figure for the first 15 years of my life, my mom met who is now my stepfather, and he tries to be a dad to me. Looking back, maybe I should have given him alot for grace and love.
You always make me think. I guess I could call this an INCONVENIENT TRUTH. (can't wait until Friday buddy)